Lisbon is the county seat of Columbiana County, Ohio, along the Little Beaver Creek. It is a part of the Salem micropolitan area southwest of Youngstown, Ohio.
History of Lisbon, Ohio
Lisbon was founded in 1803 by Baptist minister Lewis Kinney, originally named New Lisbon after Lisbon, Portugal. The village was incorporated in 1825.Initially known for its iron and whiskey production, New Lisbon became an economic hub and one of the largest towns on the Sandy and Beaver Canal. The first Ohio newspaper, The Ohio Patriot, was founded by William D. Lepper in Lisbon Ohio.
The Civil War
Lisbon was the northernmost western town involved in military actions during the American Civil War. Confederate Army general John Hunt Morgan surrendered to New Lisbon militia forces in nearby West Point at the end of Morgan’s Raid into Ohio. On July 26, 1863, Union forces defeated Confederate General John Hunt Morgan at the Battle of Salineville following his 1,000 mile raid along the Ohio River. Union General James M. Shackelford and his 3,000 men army, in addition to the Steubenville and New Lisbon militias, captured Morgan and his remaining men in a short firefight west of West Point. The John H. Morgan Surrender Site commemorates the location of the surrender.
Dignity Flooring Lisbon Ohio
After the failure of the canal, the town had to wait until the late 1860s to receive railroad access once the Niles and New Lisbon Railroad opened. The village was renamed to Lisbon in 1895. In 1900, the modern drinking straw was invented and patented in Lisbon.
The village is home to the public Lepper Library, founded in 1897. The building site on Lincoln Way and a $10,000 grant were donated by Virginia Lepper in memory of her late husband.
William McKinley Jr. was born in 1843 in Niles, Ohio, the seventh of nine children of William McKinley Sr. and Nancy Allison McKinley. William McKinley Sr. was born in Pennsylvania, in Pine Township, Mercer County. The family moved to Ohio when the senior McKinley was a boy, settling in New Lisbon (now Lisbon). He met Nancy Allison there and they later married. The Mckinley School is named after the president.